The classic, of course, is rye bread. But when your cocoa pumpernickel has that same caraway flavor as a marbled rye, plus the tenderness of a cocoa loaf, we think immediately of a classic reuben sandwich.
Two special tricks to this recipe? Warming the meat on it's own and frying the sandwich in mayo as opposed to butter, for that crisper golden crust. See what you think!
Reuben Sandwich with Homemade Russian Dressing
1 lb corned beef
1 tsp olive oil
8 slices rye bread or cocoa pumpernickel
3 Tbsp mayonnaise
3/4 cup sauerkraut drained
8 slices Swiss cheese
1/4 cup mayo
1 1/2 Tbsp chili garlic sauce (or ketchup style chili sauce, or ketchup)
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 ½ tsp creamy horseradish
1 garlic clove minced
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 Tbsp onion finely grated
⅛ tsp paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients for the Russian Dressing, set aside.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, add oil. Once hot, add the meat and cook just until heated.
- Lightly spread mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread. Place the bread (mayo side down) on a plate.
- Add the toppings to each sandwich: Spread the dressing, top with the meat, cheese and sauerkraut. Close bread slices to create a sandwich.
- In a hot skillet, cook sandwiches over medium heat 4-6 minutes, flipping once. Cook until cheese melts and the bread is crispy!